Bathroom refers to rooms with high humidity. That is why during the repair and finishing works it is necessary to select the appropriate materials that are resistant to moisture. An important step in the finishing process is the sealing of joints, through which moisture can leak, resulting in a fungus and mold. Previously, special grouting of different colors was used for these purposes, but now in the hardware store you can find a more attractive offer - sealant. A sufficiently large assortment leads the consumer to confusion, because it is not known which one is better for a bath? The answer to this question will be found in this article.
Sealants are chemical compounds whose purpose is to protect seams and joints from moisture. The composition includes all sorts of compositions made from polymers with various modifying additives. To decide which one is better, it is worth exploring the entire classification.
This is the most common group of sealants, which is very popular. It is caused by increased water-repellent properties, long operational life and good adhesion.
- Acidic (acetic). Affordable price makes it more attractive to consumers, but it is worth considering that there are some restrictions on use. So, due to the inclusion of acid in its composition, it is not recommended to use it for metal surfaces - it promotes oxidation. It can only be used for elements made of stainless steel.
- Neutral. By production acid is not used that allows to apply it to all types of surfaces. This affects the cost - it is higher than the cost of the previous analogue. Neutral is especially recommended for acrylic elements, in particular, baths. You can use it at almost any temperature, because it is well tolerated even by sudden changes in temperature.
In addition, it is worth highlighting another classification of silicone sealants:
Each of them has its own purpose and scope. So, if you need to decide on the choice of aquarium or sanitary sealant, then it is worth considering that the first type is used for gluing and sealing glass surfaces (for example, aquariums), and the second - for plumbing, plumbing and sewage systems.
Silicone compounds have a high rate of water resistance. It is quite simple to use it, which allows even a beginner to cope with the work.
The advantages and features of this category are also quite a few:
- affordable price;
- high adhesion rate for almost all types of materials, even porous;
- no unpleasant odors.
The latter was possible due to the absence of organic solvents in the composition, which means that it is possible to work with the mixture without special protective equipment (respirators). Within a day after application, the layer is completely dry. In stores you can find two types of sealants: moisture-proof and unstable. The second group is not recommended for use in the bathroom, so focusing attention on the first group.
To decide what to buy, acrylic or silicone, you need to decide on all types of surfaces that need to be treated with a protective composition.
A significant disadvantage of acrylic-based sealants is the low elasticity of the coating. It can only be used for surfaces that will not be deformed.
Combined option are sealants, which include both acrylic and silicone. Due to this combination of materials, it is almost devoid of all the disadvantages that are in the above-described analogues, but at the same time it retained all their advantages.
As a result of applying the solution, an insulating coating is formed, which has such positive characteristics as:
- moisture resistance;
If you want to protect surfaces from mold, then this category is best suited. The top layer is most resistant to the formation and spread of the fungus.
In some cases, this group of sealants can be used as an adhesive. Two elements are securely interconnected and simultaneously sealed.
By production innovative polyurethane mixes are used. The polymerization process is activated at the first contact with air, as it contains moisture. The positive aspects of this group of sealants should include:
- ease of use;
- low percentage of shrinkage;
- high adhesion (to all types of surface);
When working with this type of sealant, the manufacturer recommends taking care of protecting the skin of the hands - just arm yourself with rubber gloves.
Even after exposure to moisture, the layer will only become stronger, this type of insulator is absolutely not afraid of mechanical damage and deformation. When working with polyurethane sealant it is worth considering that it quickly sets and hardens, so all actions should be clear and accurate. If you opened the package, you must fully use it, otherwise the residue will harden.
It is worth noting that this type can be used as an adhesive if necessary to glue small fragments or repair cracks. After complete drying, the seams are painted or varnished.
In addition to the above types of sealants, there are others, for example, bituminous and thiokol, but they are not suitable for our purposes, so we will not dwell on them.
Choosing bath composition
To finally understand how to make a choice for the bathroom, you need to pay attention to the following:
- High-quality sealant must, first of all, have high resistance to water.
- If there is a sanitary mark on a product, it can be used not only for finishing materials, but also for sealing sanitary ware. In the manufacture of manufacturers complement the composition of antibacterial and antifungal additives, which are aimed at opposing the formation and development of fungi.
- Take into account when choosing that the composition can be colored, white or transparent.
- In addition to the above varieties, it is worth considering that such materials can be professional and intended for domestic purposes. Beginners in the repair and finishing works prefer the second group, as it will be much easier to work with them.
To date, the shops can be identified several of the most common brands. These are “Moment of Sanitary” and “Titan of Sanitary”. If you need to choose the composition for working with plumbing and plastics, then study the brand, which is marked "for acrylic and PVC."
When choosing a sealant for the bathroom, it is necessary to consider only three main criteria:
- resistance to mold and fungal formations;
- not cracked pasty (gel) consistency;
- adhesion to all types of materials and surfaces.
In order not to be mistaken in the choice, it will suffice to opt for popular brands that have proven themselves on the positive side.
Sealant application technology is as follows: