Profiled flooring is a universal material made on the basis of galvanized sheet metal, widely used in modern construction practice. Elegant and attractive forms of roofing, made of profiled sheets of bright colors, are quite often found today in houses of private buildings. Often they are made in the form of a combination of geometric shapes of various configurations, giving the roofing surfaces a special chic and originality.
Before you cover the roof with a professional flooring with your own hands, we advise you to familiarize yourself with the advantages of this material, and also to take into account some features of working with it.
The benefits of using profiled sheeting
The main advantage of a professional flooring is the possibility of its independent installation, produced without the involvement of outside workers. In this case, you can get by with just a few people invited as assistants.
First of all, you should know that the profiled billet is made of cold-rolled metal sheet having a combined protective coating. The sheet stocking formed in this way has the following advantages:
- the profiled sheet has a sufficient thickness to ensure the resistance of the roof covering to mechanical loads (to the effects of wind and packed snow);
- multi-layer coating, which includes in its composition a special paint layer, reliably protects the metal base from the destructive action of moisture (from corrosion);
- galvanized corrugated flooring is cheaper, but over time, this coating dims;
- the cost of the material in question may please a potential consumer with its availability.
Anyone wishing to get acquainted with how to properly prepare the roofing of corrugated board, first of all, you must take into account some features of the operations carried out with this. These features primarily include:
- the method of delivery of sheet material to the place of work (in the attic of the erected or repaired structure), ensuring complete safety of the appearance of the material;
- the procedure for the manufacture of crates used as the basis for the installation of roofing;
- safety of operations, ensured by the observance of the rules of work with metal (use of overalls and gloves, for example), as well as the need to use soft shoes to move around the material to be laid.
In addition, before starting work, it is necessary to determine in advance the main characteristics of the truss system to be mounted (rafters step, roof overhang angle, etc.), which, in turn, depend on the configuration of the coating itself.
In the most general case (when installing roofs of complex configuration) it is necessary to ensure that the following conditions are met:
- First of all, the fixing elements of the lower valley are to be prepared (the abutments of the adjacent planes of the roof, which serves to divert rainfall).
- Laying the roof covering itself should begin with fixing the end eaves slats, located approximately at the level of the waterproofing layer.
- Installation of the coating begins, as a rule, from the corner of the roof (in cases with hip constructions, from the center of the hip);
- The amount of overlap between adjacent sheets (the so-called overlap) is selected depending on the angle of the roof. It usually has a value from 150 to 200 mm, but not less than the width of a single wave.
- At least seven screws should be spent on fixing each sheet; moreover, the most important joints are sometimes reinforced with special steel rivets.
Before the final fixation of the billets laid in a row, all of them are subject to mandatory alignment along the lower section of the stingray.
Installation in the area of Endova, ridge and pipes
When installing a profiled sheeting, you will definitely encounter the need to finish such inconvenient places for installation, such as endovy, chimney pipes, ridges and other connections. For their finishing it is necessary to use special elements that are included in the set of covering from the profiled sheet.
The order of installation of adjacent elements is as follows:
- For arranging the gutter at the dormer window, you will need a sheet cut into two parts, which should be prepared in advance. When finishing the window, the lower half is first cut into the workpiece, then the so-called bottom plate, and only the roofing sheet is mounted above it.
- Installation of a special end strip of two meters length with an overlap of about 50 × 100 mm should be started from the side of the overhang with a gradual shift towards the ridge. The bar is mounted on a previously prepared end plate with a pitch of about 1 meter. Unused leftover trim is simply trimmed.
- When working with roofing materials, it is recommended to use special seals with a small corrugation, placed directly under the sheet to be mounted. The amount of overlap between adjacent sheets (overlap) should be about 100 mm.
- In the area of the exit of the chimney on the roof, the laid sheet is pre-cut according to the shape of the pipe, after which the joints are closed with special elements (abutting strips) that form a kind of “apron” around the pipe.
- When finishing the ridge of the roof, special ridge elements are used.
Fastening and sealing elements
For fixing blanks from profiled sheet, it is recommended to use special galvanized screws, equipped with sealing gaskets made of elastic material. The caps of fasteners should be protected by a special composition, matched to the color of the coating and providing them with the necessary resistance to corrosive, mechanical and ultraviolet effects.
Often in practice, special gaskets are used to install corrugated sheeting to ensure a tight fit of the coating material to the base planks. The use of sealing elements helps to protect the roofing elements of the structure from climatic precipitation in the form of rain, snow, wet drizzle, etc.
Such protection not only increases the service life of the truss system elements, but also helps to improve the sound insulation characteristics of the entire coating as a whole.
Currently, building materials manufacturers produce sealing elements that follow the structure of the corrugated surface of corrugated sheets. In addition, there are commercially available special seals to ensure reliable fit of the ridge roof elements.
We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the materials:
- solar battery do it yourself from improvised means;
You can watch the video on working with roofing materials of the class we are considering at the end of the article.
Video about the installation of sheeting do it yourself. In the process of viewing the author will share some professional secrets, which very few people tell: