In any house a lot of different pipelines. This supply of hot and cold water, and heating system, and much more. To create them, you can use metal pipes. They have high strength and durability. This article will discuss how to connect metal-plastic pipes between themselves and with pipes made from other materials.
Doing repair of communications in the house, or laying new ones, many people pay attention to the metal-plastic pipes. And why exactly are they? The explanation for this lies in their advantages. Namely:
- They are resistant to corrosion. Due to the presence of polymers, such pipes do not rust and do not rot. So, they will serve for a very long time.
- Having an aluminum layer, they retain their shape well, while possessing elasticity. This property makes it possible to create systems of virtually any configuration.
- Easy to install. With the creation of communications can handle any, even without possessing special skills.
All these advantages are given to metal-plastic pipes by structure. It consists of several layers. The first (inner) layer consists of compacted or cross-linked polyethylene. Then comes a layer of glue on which a layer of aluminum is applied. Next in the "cake" is again glue, on which the last ingredient is applied - plastic.
But there are some drawbacks. For example, there are some limitations in the use of plastic pipes in hot water supply and heating systems. Also to the minuses can be attributed to the narrowed flow area of the joints (due to the use of special fittings). Such water supply should not be walled in the wall if it is assembled on threaded connections, because they need to be periodically compressed.
Press connection fitting
The connection of metal-plastic pipes with your own hands can be done in several ways, one of them is the use of press fittings. Such a docking is reliable, but not collapsible. This method is recommended by experts when laying hidden pipelines, since leakage at the junction is almost impossible.
For the work requires a special tool - press tongs. It can be operated both manually and using electricity. You also need to stock up with special scissors for cutting pipes, a calibrator, a face picker, a straight fitting (if you need to connect pipes of different diameters or make a turn, then other varieties are used).
The sequence of works is as follows:
- Use scissors to cut the pipe to the desired length.
- Then we process the end. First, align the edges with a calibrator and remove the chamfer from the inside. Then we process the outer side with a phascus pickup.
- Carefully inspect the fitting, especially the O-rings. If a defect is noticed, it is better to replace. If everything is normal, then we put on the pipe crimp coupling. The fitting fitting to the stop is inserted into the pipe.
- Then with the help of tongs we crimp the clutch. If an electrical device is used, you cannot hold on to metal elements. In this case, it is best to carry out work in rubber gloves.
The correctness of the work performed can be checked according to the shape of the coupling, it should look like regular rings. In this case, re-crimping is impossible. Such actions can lead to the formation of cracks and, consequently, to possible leaks.
Compounds made from press fittings can last up to 50 years. At the same time, they easily withstand high pressure. But, as already mentioned, such connections are non-separable.
Use of compression fittings
There is another way to connect metal-plastic pipes - using compression fittings. This method is the most economical, since it does not require the use of additional tools and equipment. In addition, the connection itself is very simple to make, even without having any special skills.
The fittings themselves are a fitting, equipped with a split ring and a cap nut. Each manufacturer can produce their own varieties. Therefore, experts recommend buying fittings from the same manufacturer as the metal-plastic pipes (sometimes the diameter may not fit). But whatever company the fitting, the principle of its installation is always the same. For work you will need:
- pipe cutter;
Using a pencil, measure the place of the future cut. Then cut with a pipe cutter the desired piece of pipe. Next (mandatory item), calibrate the hole. Then put on the end of the cap nut and o-rings and insert the fitting. To facilitate the work, you can moisten the rubber seals of the fitting with water. Then with a wrench, tighten the union nut. When working with a key, it is not necessary to apply excessive force, as it can damage the connection.
As you can see, this way to connect two metal-plastic pipes is not difficult. In this joint is obtained collapsible. This can greatly simplify the repair and replacement of damaged areas. If there are any incomprehensible questions (for example, with the conduct of mandatory calibration), then you can watch videos from the Internet.
Connections of metal-plastic pipes with pipes of other materials
Very often, making the replacement of communications, it becomes necessary to connect metal-plastic pipes with pipes of other materials. In this case, you can also use several methods.
To connect the metal-plastic with metal pipes, use a crimp fitting. It is important to do everything carefully and consistently. You must do the following:
- The first thing we do metal pipe. If there is rust on it, then you should get rid of it (using a metal brush). Then we twist the fitting on the thread. It is better to use the old method of protection against leakage, winding tow on the thread. Then we twist the fitting on it.
- Now we take a metal-plastic pipe. We put a press washer with a nut on it and do the calibration.
- The next step will be putting on the end of the metal-plastic pipe, on the cone fitting, screwed to the metal.
- Now, with the aid of an open-end wrench, we tighten the nut. As a result, the washer must firmly compress the metal-plastic pipe.
This connection is quite strong and does not allow leakage. The main thing is to choose a fitting of the desired diameter.
If there is a need to connect metal-plastic with a polypropylene pipe, then use special couplings. One end of such a product is soldered to a plastic pipe, and there is a thread at the second end. As a rule, a fitting with an external thread is soldered into the polypropylene pipe, into which a fitting for metal-plastic with an internal thread must be screwed. Then they just twist together.
Also on sale you can find fittings in the form of a tee, corner and other designs. With their help, you can easily connect metal-plastic with polypropylene pipes. At the same time, experts recommend winding tow or fum tape on the thread to avoid leaks.
PVC pipes are connected with metal-plastic in the same ways as with polypropylene. At the same time, practically the same fittings and accessories intended for this type of pipes are used.
Watch the video about metal pipes and find out the secret of connecting compression fittings:
This video shows the Rems Eco Press pliers for crimping press fittings: