Metal tile - roofing on the basis of galvanized steel with a wavy profile, imitating the shape of ceramic tiles. It is one of the most popular materials for the construction of the roof. In the building stores are presented wide all the related elements to create a roof of metal (ridge profile, endova, cornice, pediment strips) to perform roofing work with his own hands. In this article we will describe what the technology of roofing of metal tiles looks like.
Metal tile - roofing on the basis of galvanized steel with a polymer or paint layer, used to build a cold or warm roof. It is produced by cold rolling steel blanks. The strengths of the metal tiles are:
- A light weight. One square meter of metal tile weighs 5.5-6.5 kg, which allows stacking on a sparse crate without reinforcing the roof truss frame.
- Long service life. High-quality metal tile, as well as additional elements made of galvanized steel, have been in operation for more than 20-25 years with proper maintenance and timely repair.
- Corrosion Resistance. Zinc layer, polymer coating reliably protects the steel from the effects of water, because the metal does not corrode.
- High carrying capacity. Due to the wavy profile, the metal tile has a high bearing capacity and is not deformed under the influence of intense loads.
- Resistance to temperature changes. Temperature drops do not affect the strength, material integrity, so it is used in all climatic zones.
Important! It is recommended to lay the metal sheet covering on single and multiple slope roofs with a slope of at least 12 degrees. For installation of a cold roof, you will need directly roofing material, as well as additional elements: endovy, skates, curtain rods or pediment strips, drainage elements, spotlights for filing eaves, lightning protection, snow holders. The design of a warm roof implies the additional use of insulation and vapor barrier.
The roof of the metal tile is a multi-layer construction, the elements of which interact with each other, increase its quality and service life. The structure of the cold roof consists of waterproofing, battens and roofing, and the structure of the warm also includes a vapor barrier and a layer of insulation. Experienced craftsmen recommend choosing materials for roof installation in accordance with the following criteria:
- When choosing metal, only 2 indicators play a role - the height of the corrugations and the thickness of the steel. The higher these indicators, the greater the strength and carrying capacity of the roofing. The required number of sheets is calculated based on the area of the slopes and the useful area of the web.
- Additional elements, such as curtain and gable, are acquired depending on the length of the overhangs, taking into account the overlap of 15-20 cm. They are matched to the metal tile.
- Endows are used to equip joints between slopes in multi-skid, complex designs. They are steel strips in the form of a corner with a polymer coating.
- Ridge profile is used to equip the roof ridge. Ridge elements, like endy, are corners with mounting shelves 20-50 cm. The wider the shelves, the better the profile protects the gap between the sheets of material from moisture.
Consider, the construction of a warm roof is much simpler than a warm one, since it consists of only 3 layers. However, roofing components are used for the device of the roof of any type. High-quality additional elements help to preserve the integrity of the roofing sheet when equipping the junction points to vertical and horizontal surfaces, pipe passage points and aerators across the ramp, minimizing the risks of leakage.
The basis of durability and reliability of the roof is a well-designed roofing cake made of compatible materials, which provides a tight and durable coating. The roof structure of the metal profile has a multi-layer structure that performs 4 important functions: waterproofing, thermal insulation, vapor barrier, windscreen. Roofing Cake под металлочерепицу состоит из следующих ингредиентов:
- Vapor barrier. It protects the roof frame from the penetration of steam, saturated with moisture, from the heated rooms of the upper floor or attic. Vapor barrier is a diffuse membrane that allows air to pass through but does not allow water to pass through; it is attached to the bottom surface of the rafters with a construction stapler.
- Thermal insulation. Insulation is mounted between the trusses of the roof frame. The layer of thermal insulation necessary to maintain the optimum temperature, calculated on the basis of climatic conditions. The heater does not enter a design of a cold roof.
- Waterproofing. The waterproofing material is laid over the rafters to protect the wooden elements of the frame from the penetration of moisture from the outside. As a waterproofing applied film or membrane. For the device of a cold roof use of roofing material is allowed.
- Counterbribe. Reiki 2-3 cm thick, laid along the rafters, form a counter grille, which forms a ventilation gap between the layers of the roofing pie.
- Crate. The metal tile is mounted on a lattice crate fixed perpendicular to the rafters. This structural element is responsible for the distribution of the weight of the roof covering and stiffening the slopes.
Note that the instruction prescribes the use of auxiliary elements that form a hermetic coating that is protected from all sides from moisture penetration. If you carry out the roofing of metal, using valleys, ridge profile and various strips junction, then there will be no leaks even during heavy rains.
Laying metal is performed on a solid foundation - crate. Crate called flooring of wooden boards or bars, laid with a lumen to which the roofing material is attached. Elements of the sheathing should support the roofing sheet in 3 places in order to prevent deformation: on the sides of the sheet and in the center. The following requirements are imposed on the crate:
- The instruction prescribes to mount a crate for the metal tile flooring with a step of 30-50 cm, depending on the wavelength of the roof covering.
- Wood for the manufacture of crates treated with antiseptic and fire-blocking compounds to protect against decay and increase resistance to fire.
- In places where endovs, ridges or snow holders are mounted, the crate is reinforced with an additional element. This is done because endova and other bilge elements are places where fluid and snow accumulate, so the load on the rafters is higher there.
Experienced masters say: the flatter slopes of the roof, the smaller the step of crates should be. Such an instruction is explained by the fact that from the roofs with a small slope, liquid and snow do not slide off independently, but are delayed, as a result of which the load on the rafters and the sheathing increases.
Laying metal is performed after the assembly of the truss frame and crates. To avoid wetting of the wooden frame elements, it is necessary to carry out the installation in dry weather. For safety reasons, it is prohibited to perform work at height in windy weather. To lay a high quality metal profile. There is the following instruction:
- A waterproofing material is laid over the rafter legs, starting with the roof overhang. Laying is done with a slight sagging so that the waterproofing does not burst under the pressure of water. The film is fastened to the rafters with a stapler, an overlap between the strips is made 10-15 cm, gluing it with adhesive tape.
- Along the rafters, directly on top of the waterproofing, they install counter-grill rails that form the ventilation gap necessary to protect the roofing material from condensate.
- Then, perpendicular to the truss legs of the frame, a crate is fixed to the counter-lattice with a step equal to the wavelength of the metal profile.
- Perform cutting sheets of metal to the size of the slope. If you buy material directly from the manufacturer, then cutting is performed in the factory, so there will not be horizontal joints between the sheets. Cut metal profiles out of production can be circular saw, jigsaw or hacksaw.
- Begin laying at the bottom right edge of the ramp. If laying is performed in one row, then the sheets are attached one after the other. If the installation goes in 2 rows, then first lay the extreme sheet from the bottom of the ramp, then fix the sheet above it, then 2 sheets of the first row and so on.
- The sheet is attached to the crate with roofing screws with a rubber press washer that covers the mounting hole from water penetration. Screws screw strictly at right angles to the surface of the roofing material, leaving a gap of 1-2 mm, so as not to deform it. For fixing 1 sheet requires 10-15 screws.
- When installing the metal tile overlap each other by 1 wave. The place of overlapping of the sheets is fixed by screws through the capillary groove.
Note! When fixing metal tiles, it is important not to twist the screw, in order to avoid deformation of the material and chips on the polymer coating. To do this, it is better to work with a screwdriver at low revs.
Installation of additional elements
The installation of a roofing material made of metal does not end with the laying of the roofing material. To make the structure more durable, protected from atmospheric moisture and complete, it is tedious to install endovy, ridge profile and cornice strips. Works are performed in the following order:
- Install the ridge profile. The op is attached to the crate along the ridge joint with roofing screws. To protect the ends of the profile from the ingress of water, use a special seal.
- Fix endova and other gallstones. To protect the joints between the slopes and places of junction with vertical surfaces, special strips are installed.
- Eaves and gable overhangs are equipped with special strips that protect against moisture and wind.
- Sew up cornice and gable overhangs with soffits. These perforated panels protect the lower surface of the slope, which is not protected by waterproofing, from contact with water.
- Install the drain, snegozaderzhateli and lightning protection.
Remember! Endows, skates, junction bars and gutter are not decorative ‘roofing elements. They perform the function of protecting the web from leakage, sealing it. Provided the correct equipment of the roofing pie and the use of auxiliary components, the roof of metal will last 20-30 years.