Nonprofessionals have a flat roof associated with the negative legacy of the Soviet past, when administrative buildings of this type had an unsightly, sullen appearance, and the upper floors of high-rise buildings suffered from permanent leaks. Over the past 10-15 years, the production of roofing materials has undergone significant changes, thanks to which they managed to create durable, durable and reliable polymer coatings of the new generation. From this point on, the projects of houses with a flat roof began to gain popularity.
Flat-roofed single-storey houses are a traditional architectural form of southern coastal cities, resorts and luxurious art nouveau villas dominated by a mild climate without much precipitation. The main part of the territory of Russia is located in the zone of increased snow load, so this construction technology began to be introduced recently, when modern roofing materials with improved performance characteristics appeared. Over the past ten years, single-storey buildings with a flat roof have passed the test of the harsh Russian winters and have demonstrated the following advantages compared to pitched counterparts:
- Space saving. Single-story houses with a flat roof, built on frame technology, due to the rational use of space are compact design that can be placed on a small building site in the city or in the suburbs. This quality is relevant in the context of a constant increase in the value of land for development.
- Saving materials. Flat roof does not have a slope, so to cover this type less roofing material is spent than on the arrangement of pitched counterparts. During construction, less wood is used for the truss frame, which reduces costs. In addition, flat roofs of small size can be mounted with your own hands, without spending money on hiring professional roofing masters.
- The possibility of expanding the area. A single-storey house with a flat roof can be a transitional option until the moment when it becomes necessary and financial opportunities to build a second floor. Such universality will be an additional advantage for young families, whose composition may soon change.
- Extensive use of the roof. If you equip a single-story house with a flat, operated roof, you can equip it with additional space to meet various needs: equip sports grounds, recreation areas with barbecues, swimming pools, lawns, flower beds or flower gardens. For homeowners who care about the preservation of natural resources, suitable projects for houses with a flat roof, on which solar panels are installed to provide "clean" energy.
Note! Roofing materials based on cardboard and bitumen impregnations, used in the past, had a lifespan of only 5-8 years, were damaged by the action of sunlight, and cracked during sudden temperature changes. But the coatings created from fiberglass and synthetic rubber with polymer resins will protect the house for 50 years. For the flooring materials of the new generation do not need a gas burner, so they are suitable for installation with their own hands.
Flat roof device
Flat called the roof, which has no slope, it rests on all 4 bearing walls of the house. This design is a multilayer coating of rolled or self-leveling waterproofing materials laid on the prepared substrate. Assembling a flat roof with your own hands is performed by layering, pouring or gluing in the following sequence:
- Base. The first layer of the flat roof is the base of concrete slabs, wooden beams or corrugated board, which are specially prepared. A primer composition is applied to it to reduce the surface roughness and increase the adsorption of the material.
- Screed. The cement-sand mortar screed serves as a leveling layer, with the help of which the roof is unraveld, creating a slope in the places where water intake funnels will be installed.
- Vapor barrier. This layer of roofing from the diffuse membrane is a barrier to water vapor, which penetrates from the heated room into the thickness of the roof, because of which it dampens the insulation. To give the membrane strength, it is reinforced with fiberglass.
- Thermal insulation. In order to protect a one-story house from cooling and heat loss through a flat roof, a heat insulating material is mounted on it. For this purpose, filling insulants (expanded clay), glass wool, basalt fiber, slag wool or extruded polystyrene foam are used.
- Waterproofing. Waterproofing of flat roofs is carried out with the help of polymeric rolled or self-leveling materials. Rolled coverings are laid in several layers to prevent leakage in the joints. Bulk materials (liquid roofing material, liquid rubber) allow waterproofing of roofs of complex configuration, with their installation does not require preheating.
Important! The quality of installation of a flat roof of a single-story house depends on weather conditions. Experienced roofers and manufacturers recommend laying the floor in dry, warm weather when the temperature exceeds 5 degrees. At low temperatures, the lower layer of bitumen materials heats up longer, so the installation takes more time, increases gas consumption.
Types of flat roofs
Flat houses with flat roofs fit organically into the urban landscape and look as good as a country residence. Abundant glazing, the use of natural materials in the decoration make the building light, filled with light and spacious, despite its small size. Depending on the nature of use and financial developers, the projects use the following types of flat roofs:
- Non-operated flat roof. This type of roof construction is not designed for permanent use. It is designed without taking into account additional loads, therefore it can withstand only the weight of workers who perform repairs and maintenance. For the basis of such a construction, a flooring of corrugated or wooden beams is used. Profiled sheet metal - is a cheaper option, so it is used more often. The non-operated roof is simpler in the design and installation of their own hands design.
- Operated flat roof. This type of roof is designed and mounted to use the surface as an extra space where people can be located. Such pleasure is much higher than unexploited counterparts, including at the expense of project costs. A professional architect should design the roof to be operated, because she has a serious burden. For the foundation of the flooring use concrete slabs or solid wooden beams. But the possibility of using a wooden base depends on the load, as under a large weight it can be deformed.
- Inversion flat roof. A flat roof, the layers of which are arranged in reverse order, is called inversion. For arranging the use of bulk insulating material, which is placed on top of waterproofing to protect the coating from the sun's rays, mechanical damage and cracking at a negative temperature. Through the use of this technology, you can save money by using the cheaper roofing material of the previous generation.
Important! A flat roof on the perimeter is protected by a parapet, a protective barrier that keeps the snow masses and rainwater from spontaneous discharge. On the operated roofs, the parapet serves as a barrier to prevent people from falling, so it must have a height of at least 1.2 m.