The execution of roofing works is, without exaggeration, one of the most crucial moments of the whole construction, therefore, in order to achieve the best result, it must be carried out in stages. One of these stages is the manufacture of the roof lathing. The technological features of these works will be discussed further.
What it is?
Lathing of the roof of a house is a rather complex structure designed to evenly distribute the load exerted by the roofing material on the roof system, as well as its direct attachment to it.
For its construction is usually used wooden edged board and timber. It should be added that any tree species will do, but in order to save, conifer boards are preferable, as they are cheaper. Also, depending on which roofing material is selected, unedged board or plywood can be used.
General rules for performing work
It is necessary to clarify that there are two types of construction:
- Sparse - that is, the one between the individual elements of which the gap is more than 5 cm.
- Solid - having a gap between the elements of less than 5 cm.
The choice of type of construction should be carried out on the basis of the quality characteristics of the roofing material used. And to be more precise, from whether it has its rigidity. For example, if it is decided to roof the roof with slate, then there is no need for a continuous coating under it and it is quite possible to perform sparse, which will allow saving a few.
Regardless of what the obreshetka will be, when building it, the following rules must be observed:
- When performing work, it is necessary to use boards with a width of no more than 10–15 cm. This should be taken into account because with large parameters as a result of exposure to moisture, longitudinal deformations of the material can and will most likely occur, which may lead to the integrity of the roof.
- Boards are laid perpendicular to the rafters.
- To perform the work is to choose dry weather.
- During the work, the total bearing capacity of the fixed boards as a single device should be correctly calculated. This is especially important if you plan to use heavy roofing materials such as slate or natural tile.
- If the plans use metallic materials, then it is necessary to take into account the fact that water condensate will appear on its inner surface. As a rule, this occurs as a result of temperature drops, especially if there is a heated attic space under the roof. Therefore, to protect the structure on top of it must be laid waterproofing material. In this case, special attention should be paid to sealing joints.
Depending on the roofing material, the technological aspects of the installation work will be different, but in general terms they are as follows.
- It is necessary to take the first batten board and nail it to the bars of the truss system. To begin, by the way, it is recommended from below, gradually moving upwards.
- Each next structural element must be located at a distance of about 5 cm from the previous one.
- The construction of a solid foundation can be considered the most versatile option, suitable in most cases.
- If the distance between adjacent bars of the truss system exceeds 1 meter, then it is necessary to assemble a two-layer structure. To do this, the horizontal bars are first mounted with a cross section of 5/5 cm, at a distance of about 50 cm from each other, and the other boards are vertically mounted on top of them.
Under the metal tile
The sheathing under the metal tile can be made sparse, with a step between the elements correlated with the size of the tile. Fixing the roofing elements themselves should also be carried out from the bottom up.
Under the profile
For the manufacture of structures for corrugated boarding, you can use any of the available methods. Excessively long distances between the boards with time can cause the roof to sag. Therefore, it is optimal if the distance between them is no more than 40–50 cm. In the case of a complex shape of the roof, it is worthwhile to perform a continuous crate.
The simplest and fastest production option can be considered a batten for asbestos-cement slate. For these purposes, it is best to use a wooden bar with a cross section of 75? 75 cm, which must be fixed at a distance of about 50 cm from each other. Also, when calculating distances, one should take into account that nails should be driven into the upper wave of the sheet, otherwise the slate will crack.
Under the tile
If ceramic tile is chosen as the material for the roof, then it is possible to stop the choice on a sparse structure with a step corresponding to the size of the tile. If the decision is made to use soft bitumen tiles, then a continuous crate should be made, for which it is most advisable to use sheets of plywood of high moisture resistance. It is possible to fasten them with the help of screws, without forgetting that waterproofing material should be laid on top.
Work on the preparation of the roof is not difficult and their implementation is quite possible with their own hands, without the involvement of hired professionals. This will not only save money, but also to acquire useful skills, as well as to prove themselves.
Video: making crates under the metal