In recent years, the construction of garage buildings has changed significantly, and more and more often instead of a typical single-pitch roof, solid dual-pitch roofs are being arranged. Due to the vacated space, it becomes possible to equip an additional area (attic, for example), adapted for storing ancillary inventory.
Let's think about the selection of the appropriate material to cover the roof, on which will depend on operational longevity and comfort in the room.
In addition to purely decorative and natural protective functions, the roof should provide reliable protection against the entry of unauthorized people. If your garage adjoins directly to a residential building, it is best to design it in the same style as the building, using similar materials as decoration.
If the garage is designed as a separate building, then as a material for the roof, you can choose a traditional coating from the category of inexpensive and easily accessible to the average buyer. Typical options are possible:
- ordinary ruberoid;
- professional flooring;
- the most common slate.
It is necessary to consider the slope (slope) of the roof of the garage, as well as the conditions of its operation.
Roofing material is quite suitable for the protection of the usual flat roof, made of standard concrete slabs, characterized by excellent performance characteristics. But construction technologies do not stand still, and in the place with them the preferences of builders change, who more and more often begin to pay attention to such disadvantages of working with traditional roofing material as:
- stacking operations are considered quite painstaking and completely unsafe;
- for its laying it is necessary to prepare preheated mastic or tar;
- usability wants to be the best.
With the advent of more convenient, durable and safe modern materials on the market, the demand for roofing material gradually begins to decline.
To close the roofing concrete foundations in the garage construction, an increasingly high-quality substitute for classic roofing material - the so-called bikrost - is becoming increasingly common. This material is much easier to process and does not require any complicated manipulations from the performer. For its installation you need a gas burner with a simple set of roller, primer and roofing mop. It has a high level of plasticity, which dramatically increases the service life of the entire roof as a whole.
The procedure itself laying this material is carried out in several stages. After cleaning and leveling the concrete base, its entire surface is treated with a special bitumen primer (the so-called "primer"). You can always replace this compound with a self-made waterproofing mixture made up of bitumen mastic. After the primer (or a similar primer) has dried, you can safely proceed with the direct installation of bikrost on the surface of the treated roof.
Laying is done in the following typical sequence:
- The rolled edge is rolled along the plane of the base of the roof in the direction transverse to the slope line of the surface to be covered.
- Between the ends of the adjacent bands should be observed, the so-called "overlap"; moreover, on one side of the bikrost sheet blank, it should be at least 15 cm, while on the side of the neighboring sheet - about 10 cm.
- After all the bands are laid out - with the help of a gas burner, the surfaces of the adjacent sheets and the base are gradually heated.
- And only after they are completely warmed up by carefully smoothing down the laid billets with a roller, it will be possible to start fixing on the surface of the roof.
In this article, you learned how to cover the garage quickly and efficiently. If you have experience with other high-quality materials, share with our readers, leaving comments on the article.