The roof protects the house from the penetration of rain, wind and cold, being the first barrier to meet adverse weather phenomena, it eventually becomes unusable. Roofing material with time due to exposure may rot, rust, lose aesthetic appearance. However, roofing paint can easily minimize the negative effects of this problem. In this article we will tell you what types of paints and varnishes are suitable for painting roofs, as well as how to properly apply.
Over time, minor defects and cracks appear on the surface of the roofing material, regardless of its type, which violate the integrity of the roof, as well as reduce its functionality. Paint for the roof can be a real salvation, protecting it from the following phenomena:
- Corrosion. Over time, galvanizing and other types of metal roofing are covered with corrosion centers that not only spoil the exterior of the house, but often cause leakage.
- Rot. A smooth, non-porous layer of paint prevents the development of mold microorganisms that destroy many roofing materials. A painted slate will last twice as long as unpainted slate.
- Fading. The sun's rays lead to the gradual fading of the roofing material. Painting the roof helps to quickly update the look of the house, radically changing it.
Note! The most common staining of galvanized roofs, roofs with a coating of slate or Ondulin. Paint for metal roofing not only eliminates corrosion, but also prevents their further spread. Slate and ondulin paint mainly for decorative purposes to refresh the appearance of the roofing material.
Not every type of paint can be used for painting the roof, preference is given to moisture-proof paint and varnish products that do not crack due to moisture. In addition, when choosing to take into account resistance to temperature and UV exposure, which leads to fading of the coating. Therefore, the following types of paint are mainly used:
- Oil paint. Среди своих конкурентов масляная краска обладает более низкими влагостойкими качествами, ее главное достоинство – демократичная цена, которая позволяет проводить окрашивание хоть каждый год.
- Acrylic paint. Acrylic-based paint is much more practical and more durable than oil, it gives a smooth, smooth, matte finish. It withstands temperature changes well, but over time it becomes dull and fade.
- Rubber paint for the roof. Paint on the basis of bitumen is the most practical option for painting roofing, it has the highest degree of moisture protection, elasticity, resistance to temperature changes. However, this coating is quite expensive, but it serves at least 5-7 years in all weather conditions. The disadvantage of this option is the poor selection of colors.
Important! Experienced roofing masters recommend using rubber paint to paint roofs, because it not only improves the appearance of the coating and protects against corrosion, but also fills micro cracks on the surface of the ramp, preventing leaks.
Preparing for staining
In addition to the correctly chosen coloring composition, the quality of painting is strongly influenced by the observance of the technology for preparing the roof surface for work. In order to lay the paint evenly, it is important to thoroughly clean and then degrease the roofing material, otherwise it will be difficult to apply it evenly. The process of preparing the roof for painting consists of the following main steps:
- Cleansing Before applying the paint, you must thoroughly clean the surface of the slope of debris and dust. This can be done with water and a brush if the roofing material has a relief.
- Drying After thorough cleaning, the roofing material must be dried either naturally or with an industrial dryer. Moreover, it is important to drain not only the surface, but also the deeper layers of the roof, so time is required for this stage for a long time.
- Corrosion free. If there are already rust spots on the surface of the roofing material, they are recommended to be removed using a rust converter.
- Primer. After cleaning the roof surface from dust and dirt, it should be degreased and primed with an anti-corrosion primer to improve adhesion between the roofing material and the coloring composition.
Remember that the success of painting the roof is 80% dependent on adherence to the correct technology for preparing the roofing material to work. Therefore, it is important to comply with all operations in accordance with the recommendations of the paint manufacturer.
Staining the roof is a rather complicated technological process that relates to high-altitude work, therefore during its execution it is important to comply with all safety requirements for work at height. You need to work in a respirator and gloves to protect yourself from the effects of harmful fumes. There are the following methods of painting the roof:
- Brush. The application of paint on the surface of the roofing material takes most of the time, and the consumption of the composition increases, which is why the paint coating layer is thick, thick, but not sufficiently even.
- Roller. The paint roller will significantly speed up the paint application process, as it has a larger surface area than the brush. After applying the paint with this tool, the paint layer is thinner. However, this option is not suitable for roofing with a pronounced relief, as the roller will not be able to paint over the material profile.
- Spray gun. The fastest method of dyeing is applying a paint-and-lacquer composition with a spray gun, which, under pressure, discharges a jet of paint, distributing it evenly on the surface. The layer at such drawing turns out rather thin, and the expense - economical. Using the spray gun you can quickly paint the material with any relief.
Note that the paint for galvanized roofs should be applied to the surface of the slope in dry, windless weather, otherwise it will fall bad, it will dry for a long time. It is also not recommended to perform staining in extreme heat, since under such weather conditions there will be more toxic fumes when working with paint.