In construction, as in many other areas of our life, fashion spreads its influence. Over time, some architectural styles and decisions forget, while others find themselves at the top of popularity and consumer demand. Designers, anticipating fashion trends, offer projects of stylish, technological houses that are used by construction companies and offer their clients. Now attention is drawn to the frame house with a flat roof - the latest trend in private housing.
Frame technology meets all the needs of modern man. Such projects are distinguished by high construction speed and economical consumption of building materials. Thanks to the original, uncluttered appearance, the frame houses with a flat roof can be harmoniously beaten in a minimalist and modern style, the most promising design directions. In this article, read how to equip a house, built on frame technology, with a flat roof.
Pluses flat roof
Due to the main features of the erection technology, universality, the projects of frame structures are organically combined with any kind of roofs - with two-slope, tri-slope, hip, and hip. However, roofing masters do not get tired to recommend a flat roof, due to its valuable advantages:
- Efficiency. Since the surface of a flat roof occupies a smaller area than any of the types of pitched, for the construction of frame projects require fewer building materials. This reduces its cost and makes it the best option.
- High wind resistance. The absence of slopes allows a flat roof to more effectively cope with strong gusts of wind and not to “sail”. This is a quality that makes flat roofing the only possible way to overlap frame houses in particularly windy areas.
- Low level of complexity of work. Since the main snag of any pitched roof is a complex roof system, and the flat roof does not provide for it, you can sharpen it yourself, especially when it comes to the roof of a barn, bathhouse, gazebo or a small frame house.
- Rational use of space. A flat roof can be adapted to perform various tasks: projects of frame houses allow you to place solar panels on it, a container for heating water, arrange a recreation area and even a pool.
- Actual design. Russian terem goes into the abyss of fashionable oblivion, and in its stead come projects of frame houses with a flat roof, modern and functional.
Flat roof problems and solutions
As with any other option for arranging the roof, projects with a flat roof have particular features that affect its operation:
- The formation of snow drifts and snow drifts. Although the flat roof is not exactly flat, but has a slight bias, it is not enough for the snow to slide out of its surface. The situation is further complicated by the fact that the surface of the roofing material is not smooth, but rough. Previously, to cope with this problem and prevent roof deformation, the landlord had to pick up a shovel, climb a ladder, and manually eliminate drifts. However, these difficult times are behind thanks to a thermal cable that melts snow. And the melt moisture is sent to the drainage system.
- Lack of attic. Projects with a flat roof do not allow to arrange a loft, let alone an attic. However, a single-storey frame house does not need them, due to the increase in the area in the horizontal direction.
- Slow outflow of water. Melt and rain water does not slide off the surface of the flat roof, which is fraught with the appearance of non-drying areas and leaks. However, competent razuklonka, internal or external drainage system will relieve homeowners from this problem.
Flat roof like a multi-layer cake with different fillings consists of the following layers:
- The grounds. In a frame house, most often in this role is a timber section of 150x150 mm and a thicker or I-beam metal beam made of steel. The functions of the base - maintaining the rigidity of the structure and the distribution of the weight of the roof.
- Vapor barrier. Film or mastic that does not allow steam from the room into the thickness of the roofing pie.
- Thermal insulation. Insulation necessary to maintain the optimum temperature inside the building. Most often it is slabs or rolls of mineral wool, expanded polystyrene, expanded clay or perlite.
- Waterproofing. Roof cover to protect against moisture. It is made from materials based on bitumen, polymers and mixtures thereof. Lately, in spite of the high cost, membranes with high elasticity and service life of more than 30 years are gaining popularity.
Types of flat roof
Projects of frame single-story houses, depending on the needs of the customer, can imply one of the types of flat roofs:
- Not exploited. It is impossible to climb on such a roof, and it is possible to move on it, for example, in the process of repair, only by special ladders and walkways. A profiled sheeting, deformed under additional loads, is used as a base.
- Operable. On the surface it is safe to go through the hard ground. On such a roof you can make a place for sunbathing, a lawn or a viewing platform.
- Inversion. Reverse the order of the layers of the roofing cake gave a new type of flat roof. Called inversion.
- Soft A characteristic feature of this species is that mineral wool is laid on the base and covered with roofing felt. The surface of the soft roof minimizes, so you cannot walk or use it in any other way.
- Ventilated. The rest of the presence of aerators designed to evaporate moisture from the thickness of the roofing pie.
Choose what kind of flat roof, depending on the nature of use and the parameters of the frame and the foundation of the house.
To build a flat roof of a frame house with your own hands, you need:
- Lay beams of 40–50 mm thick on the joists of the timber or steel I-beam. Preliminary processing of a tree by antiseptic of deep penetration will not be superfluous.
- On the flooring stripes spread ruberoid. Creating an overlap of 15-20 cm. Before this, the rolls are unwound and left to lie down.
- Fill up with expanded clay, perlite, slag or other backfill insulation. When filling the razuklonka, the process of forming an angle of 2-3 degrees flat roof in the direction of internal or external drainage.
- Pour clay block screed. Knead the cement milk and pour backfill insulation so that the screed layer is at least 2 cm. It is necessary not to damage the angle set when unraveling, therefore, to perform all actions carefully. For drying time (1-2 days) cover with plastic wrap.
- Coat the frozen coating with bitumen mastic and glue a layer of roofing material. All seams and joints to solder and process sealant.
- For better thermal insulation of the roof, you can insulate it inside using basalt-based mineral wool slabs. In the process of insulation, you need to remember about the need for vapor barrier.
Competently and efficiently constructed flat roof protects the frame house from precipitation and wind no worse than pitched counterparts. Therefore, choose professional craftsmen, modern projects and high-quality materials, because saving on them, you save on your comfort.