It would seem that in our age of abundance of building materials, it is not difficult to choose a waterproofing coating suitable for the high demands of modern residential construction. Ondulin, shingles, roofing felt, roofing metal are excellent protection against the penetration of cold air, rain or snow, but they are not always environmentally friendly.
On the other hand, there are traditional methods of overlapping residential buildings that do not harm human health, for example, reed roofing. In this article we will describe what plant material can be used for the construction of the roof, how to prepare and lay it for maximum waterproofing.
Characteristics of reeds as a roofing material
Coastal-aquatic plants of the sedge family, which predominantly grow along the banks of rivers, the edges of swamps, are called reed or rogoz. It possesses a long, rigid stem and narrow long sheets. Traditionally, this plant is used rooftops for residential buildings. Reed is characterized by the following properties:
- Weather resistance The roof of reeds, as well as of reeds, tolerates heat in summer, cold in winter, as well as wind, rain, and even hail.
- Flexibility. Thanks to its flexible, non-fragile structure, the reed stems can take on virtually any shape. This quality allows overlapping complex architectural structures.
- Ease. The stalks of cattail are hollow inside, so they weigh little enough, therefore they do not weigh down the roof frame of the roof.
- Microbial resistance. Reed stems have a pronounced bactericidal effect, so they are not susceptible to mold, fungi, rot.
- Durability. Correctly mounted roof of reeds for a very long time retain their attractive appearance without losing waterproofing properties.
Interesting! Reed and reed are considered the very first waterproofing materials that were used for the construction of the roof. Now, in the presence of more modern roofing coatings, they are used only as a decor when decorating restaurants and recreation centers.
Although after the appearance of roofing felt, slate and other roofing materials, the reed for a long time remained in the background, it is now increasingly used in the construction of residential buildings. The increased popularity of this type of roof is due to the desire to protect their health and live in a healthier microclimate. Virtuesми камышовой кровли считают:
- Ecological safety. Bulrush is a natural, natural material of plant origin, so it is completely harmless to the environment and humans. This quality essentially distinguishes cane roofs from ruberoid, slate, bituminous.
- Ventilation. Due to the loose fit of dry reed stalks, between them remains free space through which air passes freely. Good ventilation prevents rotting of the coating.
- High insulating ability. No other roof protects the house from overheating, as the roof of reeds its laying technology is such that it effectively reflects the sun's rays.
- High noise insulation ability. The reed covering well extinguishes various noises, therefore in the house with such a roof the sounds of wind, rain or even hail are not heard.
Note! The only drawback of the reed roof is its flammability. Dry reed is highly flammable and burns well, so professional craftsmen recommend fire retardant treatment.
Collection and preparation of raw materials
Reed roof with their own hands is made from freshly selected plant materials. As the roofing material according to reviews of professional craftsmen, you can use both reed and cattail. The main thing is to select high-quality, selected raw materials, which will serve for a long time as a roof covering. The following requirements are imposed on the plant material used for roofing:
- The length of the stem. According to technology, laying for the construction of reed roofs are used stems 1.5-2.1 m long. Longer raw materials are used to overlap the slopes, and short stems are useful for the design of the ridge or joints.
- The term of preparation. For the construction of the roof used freshly prepared reed, cattail and reed.
- Appearance. When visually assessing the reed used for the construction of the roof, must be healthy, have a light color, do not break, do not crumble.
- Humidity. For the roofing device is used dried to 18-19% cattail, which does not rot during operation.
Consider that the quality and condition of plant materials primarily depends on the service life and appearance of the reed roof. If you use quality material, then such a roof without repair can be operated for up to 50 years.
The roof of the reeds with their own hands is usually erected in the summer in dry, calm weather from freshly prepared reeds. First, inspect the external state of plant materials, sorted according to the length of the stems, and then tied into heaps of hemp rope or wire. However, the construction of such a roof should take into account the following features:
- Because of the design features, reed can only be placed on roofs whose slopes exceed 35 degrees.
- Since it is impossible to equip a drainage system on the surface of a slope covered with vegetable raw materials, it is necessary to lay a drainage layer along the perimeter of the house, which will direct melt or rainwater to storm sewers. Otherwise, the water flowing from the roof surface will erode the blind area.
- The crate for laying reeds is made of bars with a cross section of 40x60 mm or 50x50 mm, the pitch between the slats should be 30 cm.
- If a fireplace or stove is installed in the house, it is necessary to protect the reeds from sparks, which can lead to burning of dry plant material.
Remember that it is not recommended to build reed roofs under the canopy of trees. Foliage blocks the roof from sunlight, because of what it does not dry out, and then rots. Therefore, it is better to place buildings with a roof of this type in an open area, where it will be well dried and ventilated.
Piling камыша на крышу начинается с монтажа обрешетки. The battens of the batten, made of 40x60 or 50x50 mm thick timber, are laid across the truss legs with a 300 mm pitch. После этого можно переходить к непосредственно укладке растительного материала. Styling process происходит следующим образом:
- Screws are screwed into the crate or nails are driven into which galvanized wire or hemp rope will be attached, which are necessary to hold the rogoz snopikov.
- Laying start from the bottom edge of the overhang of the roof, the reception of the lower tier of the cattail should be 50 cm beyond the edge of the roof overhang.
- The first tier of plant material is fixed from a stepladder, scaffolding or a high ladder, and the subsequent laying is carried out by moving to the crate, which must withstand the weight of a person.
- Sheaves of cattail are tightly fixed to each other on the wire until a uniform layer is obtained that will not let moisture through.
- After laying the sticks on the slopes go to the design of the skate. For this, shorter stems are used, which are laid along the ridge joint, and then pressed with a ridge profile.
- After the process of laying, the sheaves are knocked down and leveled so that the roof has a beautiful, aesthetic look.
Remember that it is more efficient to process the finished roof with a flame retardant, rather than raw materials. When processing the fire retardant, the composition penetrates to a depth of 5 cm. During operation, the substance protecting from fire is washed off by rains, so the treatment should be repeated after 3-5 years to prevent ignition when a lightning strike or a spark from a heating device occurs.