When carrying out construction work in the room, a special place must be given to the device of the floor. So, in private homes it is customary to install wooden flooring. It will provide an adequate level of heat in the room and, if properly used, will last long enough. In the article we will tell you how to make a wooden floor with your own hands and give a video instruction on its installation.
To get a flat wooden floor, you need to choose the best material. To do this, consider the most common types of wood used:
- Pine. It has an average level of density and resinous structure. For the construction of the floor is better to use wood with low resinous. There are several color solutions material. So, the color of the board can vary from sandy yellow to dark red. Pine retains heat well and has a long life.
- Oak. Durable material. Wood is practically not subject to destruction. The color range is also different.
- Spruce. In its composition and properties resembles pine wood. However, the material has a greater level of softness. Because of its heterogeneous structure, spruce is difficult to process. The color can be either sandy or beige. Spruce is not too often used as a floor covering due to its complex structure.
- Ash. Dense and hard material. The wood color has a gray tint. During the work the material is subjected to additional processing with varnish.
- Beech. This material is widely distributed in construction. Wood is easy to paint. therefore, material imitation for more noble wood is often performed. For example, walnut or mahogany.
- Maple. It has a high level of moisture and moisture resistance. The material is not subject to external damage. The canvas is white with a brilliant shade. Easy to paint.
- Larch. One of the strongest and hardest materials. Possesses the increased resistance to low temperatures. In its composition has a substance that repels insects. The color scale is presented by various warm shades.
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of material for the installation of flooring, you must follow the basic tips:
- The moisture state of the tree should be average. It is not allowed to use wet or over dried material.
- On the surface of the wood should not be damaged, scratches and chips.
- The amount of the selected material should be 20% higher than the estimated rate.
- You should choose bars with a length of more than 2 m.
- All material must be purchased from the same manufacturer and from the same batch. This will provide a uniform color gamut of the material.
- For flooring it is recommended to choose already sanded wood.
- If the room has an increased level of moisture and humidity, it is necessary to give preference to materials with a high level of moisture resistance (oak, larch).
Main types of wooden flooring
When installing a wooden flooring used the following types of materials:
- wooden boards;
- parquet boards with finished edges and joints;
- parquet board consisting of several glued layers of wood.
Wood laying is carried out in the following ways:
- Installation of boards, the length of which corresponds to the length of the room. The flooring is a shield.
- Set material with offset. The flooring has the appearance of flooring.
Also laying is made on the following technologies:
- work with lag installation;
- arrangement of flooring on the floor beams.
Note! Installation of wooden floors on the beams is made in the event that the building has a strip or column foundation.
In other cases, it is preferable to lay the boards on the logs.
Laying on logs
To install the floor in a wooden house, you must first prepare the logs. They should be brought into the room and left for a few days. So, the temperature of the materials will be equal to room temperature.
There are 2 ways to fix the lag:
- laying directly on the base;
- fixing on the walls.
- Calculation of the optimal distance between the lags. It depends on the thickness of the material. So, with an average board thickness of 3-4 cm, it is necessary to maintain a distance between the lags of at least 0.8 m.
- The gaps remaining between the lags, it is recommended to fill with a layer of insulating material. This may be foam, polystyrene foam, mineral wool. This will provide an additional level of heat retention in the room.
- Lags must be installed at the same height. Plywood pegs and wedges can be used to regulate it. They are fixed on the surface with screws or nails.
- When attaching the material to a concrete base, it is recommended to use anchors or dowels.
- Wood laying From each side, it is necessary to make a small indent (no more than 2 cm) and begin to make laying.
- To achieve an optimal result along the lag, you can stretch the thread and, focusing on it, do the work.
- Boards are laid on logs and fixed on them.
- If gaps and cracks remain on the surface, they should be closed with a plinth. It should be nailed or screwed to the base.
Installation on beams
How to install the wooden floor on the beams? Consider the basic steps:
- Installing pillars. The distance between the pillars is from 70 cm to 1 m. It depends on the thickness of the selected board. The larger it is, the more distance is needed.
- Covering the surface with several layers of roofing material.
- Installing beams. They must be positioned so that they rest on the installed pillars. Fixing and fixing beams.
- Creating an inner layer. To do this, on the surface of the beams you need to fix additional boards. They are a draft cover. The material used is unedged board. It must be treated with an antiseptic solution that prevents destruction. The average width of the board can vary between 20-50 cm.
- Installation and installation of a layer of insulation material. You can use a sheet material, for example, foam or polystyrene foam or a layer of expanded clay material. When installing insulation it is necessary to leave an empty space between the material and the surface. This will ensure the natural circulation of the air flow.
- Installation of wooden floor. When installing the first board, you should distance from the wall at least 15 cm. This will ensure natural air circulation.
- To reduce the work time, you can pre-prepare the boards and assign a sequence number to each of them.
- Fastening the boards with nails. When driving nails, it is necessary to maintain a 45 degree tilt angle.
- Performance of surface puttying.
- Paint the floor and varnish it. Brush movements should run parallel to wood fibers. So on the surface there will be no streaks.
- Installation of wooden plinth. After the beams, logs, the wood is completely dry, you can install the usual plastic plinth.
At observance of the described technology of work the wooden floor in the building will please owners with their high performance and durability.
This video describes how to make wooden floors and what tools will be needed to do this work.