Fencing on roads is an important element of pedestrian safety.
We used to see metal pedestrian fences along the roads. These designs protect pedestrians from hitting cars. At the same time, they prevent pedestrians from impulsively or accidentally exiting the roadway, thereby protecting drivers.
Pedestrian railing type fencing can perform various functions, for example, to ensure the safety of areas with large elevation differences.
Everything related to structures that restrict access to the roadway, is governed by the provisions of GOST R "Technical means of traffic management. Rules for the use of road signs, markings, traffic lights, road barriers and guiding devices ", as well as the provisions of European standards EN 1317.
To understand these provisions, it is necessary to voice the terms and definitions that use these documents.
So, what could be a pedestrian fence-GOST distinguishes two main types:
- Pedestrian fencing retaining type. Such structures are designed to organize the movement of pedestrians through a highway, as well as to prevent accidental falls of citizens from bridges, high embankments and other objects with a significant height difference.
- Pedestrian fencing limiting type. Such structures are placed along the roads in order to prevent people from accidentally exiting the roadway, driving cars to pedestrians, as well as passing roads in unauthorized places.
One of the indicators of the effectiveness of access control devices is the holding capacity of the structure (energy intensity). This value characterizes the value of the kinetic energy that can be absorbed by one or another obstacle.
In addition, the design is usually considered as a set of sections. The section, according to the authors of the standard, is an enlarged element in the construction of the fence, and without fail of factory production.
Important! From this it follows that the manufacture of pedestrian fences is the prerogative of enterprises licensed for such activities, whose products have a certificate of compliance with standards and norms.
We see that the production of fences for sidewalks and bridges with our own hands is unacceptable. However, it is quite logical and justified, because the safety of people depends on the quality of these products.
Road improvement and traffic safety measures are part of government programs.
To talk about the classification, it is necessary to determine on what grounds it will occur.
The voiced standard establishes the following features:
- Type of material from which the parts are made;
- Functional purpose of the structure;
- The method of manufacture of the product.
Now we will sort these points in order.
If we talk about the types of materials, we distinguish the following:
- Aluminum and its alloys;
- Composite materials.
If we talk about the process of manufacture, then it is necessary to transfer such technology fences:
Important! We see that there are many materials and technologies for the production of restrictive structures for roads. This tells us that there are many types and types of these structures.
Nevertheless, all this diversity has a strict framework, prescribed by law and standardized. Road barriers must comply with certain parameters (see also the article Road barriers of barrier type: purpose and types).
Product sketches must meet standards. The photo shows how the finished products are checked for compliance.
Further, the draft GOST offers us the parameters that must comply with the restrictive structures.
It says what structures should consist of, namely:
- They should include racks, which are reinforced and concreted, holding the entire structure, railings or handrails, vertical filling elements or grids, and these are not plastic nets for fencing sports grounds, but metal grids with a cell size of no more than 120? 120 mm.
- The height of the structures is regulated in GOST R 52289, and all pedestrian railings of the rail type must comply with this document.
- The product of the holding type must have no more than 150 mm from the surface of the base to the bottom of the fence.
- The product of the limiting type must have no more than 100 mm between the top of the road fence and the bottom of the structure.
- Vertical or other filling elements should be located at a distance not exceeding 120 mm.
Types of road fences
Cross type pedestrian railing is common, as it is inexpensive and efficient.
Today there are a variety of designs of fences and fences for roads (See also the article Barrier fencing - road safety). Among them, it is customary to distinguish structures with a cross-shaped filling of sections, products with a grille, as well as products of a rail type with vertical filling elements.
And the lattice can be both a classical grid, and a difficult decorative pattern or an ornament.
The product with a decorative grille is able to decorate the urban landscape.
The price of forged patterned grids, of course, is very high, but for cities that care about their appearance - the image is more important (see also the article Beautiful patterns on the fences).
As can be seen from the normative documents, the instruction does not have any prescriptions regarding the choice of one or another type of fence, it completely depends on the initiative of city authorities or residents.
At the time of installation and installation works, rental of fencing for construction sites is useful. This service will relieve you of the inconvenience associated with unauthorized access to the object.
All parameters and characteristics of road barriers regulates GOST for pedestrian fences. Therefore, when purchasing products for the assembly of access restriction structures on the roads, a certificate of conformity should be required. In the presented video in this article you will find additional information on this topic.