Even a small piece of our own land needs to be demarcated. If you want to make it beautiful, original, but at the same time inexpensive, choose an ordinary fence from a rod - it can be done with your own hands in a few days.
Such a fence can be arranged not only around the perimeter of the site, but also inside it, separating the vegetable garden from the recreation area, framing flower beds, playgrounds, front gardens.
Materials for the manufacture of the fence from the rod
The fact that you do not have to go to the store for materials for the construction of the fence, and its price will be a penny - this is a big plus. But work, nevertheless, is necessary - to prepare a vine and stakes, which will serve as supports for the wattle fence.
Procurement of basic materials
- Stakes for a wicker fence are most often made from thick (5-6 cm) and smooth pine branches, from which the bark is removed. But, since any wood in the ground rots quickly, you can use a thick metal rod or a half-inch metal pipe instead. They are pre-painted in the color of the tree to make the fence look more natural.
If you still decide to make a fence with wooden stakes, it is necessary to protect their lower part from rotting by treating with an antiseptic or tar. There is another way - char on the fire.
Council You can take care of a good drainage of groundwater from the base of the fence, digging a trench at the place of its installation and filling it with sand. But in this case, the stakes will need to be driven in deeper, as they are worse in the sand than in the ground.
- Vine is best harvested in early spring or late autumn, when the river is ice-bound and you can approach the willow from any direction. If you decide to make a fence from the vine with your own hands in the summer, and you do not have any harvested rods, you can cut them right before weaving. In late summer and early autumn, the willow bark is painted in a variety of colors, and the weave turns out to be differently colored, which looks very interesting.
Harvested bars for fence
Before weaving a fence from a rod prepared in advance, it needs to be prepared, to return flexibility. For this, the ends of the rods are dipped into the water and allowed to stand for a week, or even more, until they begin to bend as you need.
Council You can speed up the process by holding the vine in hot water, steaming it before weaving. This is an excellent recommendation for beginners, as the rods will have excellent flexibility and will fit tightly in rows without much effort. After drying, they will again become tough and durable.
What is required for work
In addition to the basic materials for the installation of the fence at your summer cottage, you will need metal wire or wooden poles, as well as a sharp knife and a mallet for work.
The finished fence can be toned with wood stain, which, moreover, will protect it from rotting.
For reference. Instead of the stain, you can use a solution of ferrous sulfate, which will give the vine a gray-brown tint. A solution of potassium permanganate will stain it with a brown color of any desired hue, the saturation of which will depend on the concentration of the solution.
It is better to see once than to read many times how to weave a fence from a rod. Moreover, it can be done in different ways. Therefore, we recommend that you watch the video, or even better - learn from an experienced master. But reading this material will not be superfluous.
Consider the two most simple ways of weaving - horizontal and vertical.
First of all, you need to make markup for the future fence.
- Hammer the pegs into the ground at the corners of the perimeter, stretch the cord between them and mark the location of the intermediate stakes. The distance between them depends on the thickness and flexibility of the rods, usually it is from 30 to 50 cm.
- Using the ax, sharpen the butt ends of the stakes, process them, as mentioned above, and hammer them into the ground by half a meter. It is possible and deeper. The second and last but one count should be placed closer to the first and last.
- To keep the stakes straight and not bending during weaving, it is desirable to fasten their upper ends together. For this purpose, solid and even wooden poles are used, to which the tops of the supports are nailed or tied before the end of the work. You can also use the wire, with which the stakes are connected not at the very top, but a little lower, so that it later closes itself from the sight with an interlaced vine.
The poles are removed at the end of the weaving, and the wire remains in the body of the weave.
Instructions for making such a fence is very simple. The main thing - to fix the vine at the beginning, and then everything goes like clockwork.
- Take the thicker end of the vine in your hands, start it by the second stake, and by its continuation go around the first stake around. After that, lead the bar with the eight, bending around each next count either in front or in back. Weaving scheme you have already seen in the previous picture.
- When the first rod is over, take the second one and start weaving from the previous stake, as if building up the vine.
- The bars of the second row should bend around the stakes in a mirror image - on the other hand.
- Having passed several rows, compact the weaving, knocking on the rods with a mallet and leveling the rows horizontally.
- Pull the ends of the rods on the inside and cut off flush with a sharp knife.
- After reaching the last stake, bend it around and fill it inside.
Council If the vine is sufficiently thin and flexible, you can immediately weave a bunch of twigs. Then the fence will be more prominent, as in the photo.
To the stakes driven into the ground, nail or tie horizontal supports made of thick rods every 20-30 cm.
The weaving itself is even simpler than the horizontal one. It is enough to stick the vine into the ground with a butt and twist it with horizontal supports. On the top of it, you can simply trim it, or you can twist it around the upper horizontal rod.
What kind of fence is better and cheaper - vertical or horizontal? We will talk about this in other articles on our website.
Now you know how to make a fence from the vine. But it will be interesting to you to learn that it can be turned into a green hedge, if we weave it in a vertical way immediately after cutting the rods. In fertile soil and with good watering willow can settle down and turn green.