The locking device can be put yourself.
The logical completion of the installation of the entrance door to the site is its equipment with a reliable and high-quality locking device. What lock to put on the gate, so that it becomes an insurmountable barrier to the unauthorized invasion of your possession? Let's figure it out.
Types of locking devices and their features
The door in your fence can be equipped with the lock of the following types:
Each type of mechanisms has its pros and cons.
More recently, in stores there was no such variety of locking devices. On this basis, property owners often used such bulky structures with a big key to protect it.
It was necessary, when opening the gate, to insert it into the well and, with great effort, push it inwards.
Disadvantages of rack designs:
- significant level of effort when opening;
- heavy and big key;
- unreliability due to lack of secrecy and low resistance to cracking.
The only advantage of such a mechanism is strength. Due to all these points, the rack-mount devices are rarely installed now. Especially this should not be done if you are offered home-made locks for gates of this type.
This method of locking doors, gates and gates is one of the oldest. Padlocks appeared in the Middle Ages. It is possible to install such a lock on a wicket door made of corrugated flooring, but only after special loops are attached to the outer part of the box and the sash of the entrance structure.
Locking mechanisms of this type are simple, reliable in operation, and their price is low. If we talk about the shortcomings, then the main one is the outdoor installation. This dramatically reduces the level of burglar resistance of the device.
Using the mount, any attacker can knock the lock. In addition, mounted mechanisms are inconvenient, since locking and unlocking them is possible only by going outside.
Note! To increase the level of protection of the protected area, use a mounted device that has a streamlined shape, as well as a removable locking finger, replacing the usual arc. Such mechanisms are made of hardened steel, have a special outer coating, which increases their resistance to weathering, and also have a streamlined geometry. This prevents the sawing of the mechanism and the possibility of delivering an accurate strike.
Laid on and mortise fixtures
At the moment, the most popular installation of the lock on the gate of these types. Mortise devices are fixed inside the door using the face plate. Its thickness must be at least 2.5 mm, otherwise it will be the weakest link in the mechanism.
In addition, in order to eliminate the risk of damage during the actions of burglars, the bar should be fixed as tightly as possible to the body of the locking device.
Overhead mechanisms are mounted on the inside of the door. Choosing such a device, note that their most reliable kind is the one that from the inside is opened only with a key.
This is especially true if the locking device is placed, for example, on a garage sectional door with a wicket. Otherwise, attackers can, by making a break in the wall, simply open the latch of the lock and steal your car.
The most important role in the patch type of lock is the constipation itself, with which the door of a metal fence or fence closes. When it is closed, the bolt comes out of the mechanism case, when unlocked, it hides inside.
It should be noted that the greater the number of cylindrical rods form a constipation, the better. This will provide a greater degree of protection of real estate.
In addition, under mechanical action, shock loads will be distributed evenly over the lock body. This circumstance will increase the service life of the device and will not allow criminals to quickly crack the mechanism.
Before you put the lock on the gate, note that the mortise and overhead devices, in turn, are divided by their design into cylinder and suvaldnye types.
The first type, thanks to its complex code system, which can have up to 2.5 million combinations, perfectly resists hacking with master keys. The best models of such devices have additional protection - bronchial, which does not allow to drill the core (cylinder) of the lock.
In the photo the main elements of the suvaldnogo device.
The lever mechanism will also be an excellent solution for protecting your property. Its secret part is a package of plates having a figured shape. In their cuts and moving bolt rack.
Such devices have:
- high protection of the central mechanism;
- armor plates in the area of the well;
- difficult configuration of suvald;
- a huge number (more than 1 million) code combinations;
- impressive size;
- increased degree of strength, because made of alloy steel.
All this maximally complicates the sawing of the lock, its breaking with the help of master keys, knocking, squeezing, drilling, etc.
Magnetic and code devices
- Magnetic locking devices are very convenient and reliable, because do not have moving parts. Putting a similar lock for the gate do it yourself is quite simple. It consists of an anchor plate, which is mounted in the door leaf and an electric magnet fixed on the box. To unlock such a device, you need a special magnetic key, which must be attached to the device that reads the cipher.
- Code locks have recently become quite popular. They are convenient and very reliable due to the fact that when using them keys are not needed.
Note! To enter the protected area, you must dial a unique code. From the outside, such a locking device can be opened by pressing a button or by turning a lever. From the inside, such a mechanism has a latch.
Now the instruction on how to put the locking device yourself.
Installation mechanism surface type
So put the invoice lock.
- Before you make a lock on the gate, you need to mark the place of its future position. Lean the structure against the door and mark the areas where the fixtures will be located, as well as the lock cylinder (central mechanism).
- Now it is necessary to make holes at the marked points. The diameter of the drill, select, taking into account the appropriate parameter mounting bolts or screws. Determine the diameter of the hole for the larva of the castle, based on the size that it has.
- After drilling the holes, you can begin to mount the device itself, as well as the handles that come with it.
- Before you make a lock for a gate of this type, take into account that it is not very convenient to use it when the door to the area opens outwards, not inwards.
Mounting mortise design
Installation scheme mortise design.
As an example, we will describe how a mortise lock is placed for a gate made of profiled sheets having a frame made of profiles.
- In this case, you need to make a metal box in advance, and then weld it at the required level to the door frame.
- If shaped pipes with a large diameter are used as a wicket frame, then everything is much simpler. The box is not needed and the lock is placed in the same way as in metal doors.
- Further, when the lock is inserted into the gate, it is necessary to make a marking. It is made on the end of the box, there will be put the locking mechanism. Do not forget to measure the front part of the back side of the lock.
- After that, cut a niche for the locking device.
- Then, before you insert the lock into the gate, mark the points for fasteners necessary for fixing the structure. Next, drill holes for them of the desired diameter.
- The next stage of installation is marking and cutting a hole for the device's larva. Carry out this process very carefully and accurately, especially for measurements.
- If you put a mortise lock with a handle for the gate, then it is the turn to mark and cut the hole for the rod under the handle.
- Now you can begin the installation itself. Insert the body into the groove, place the larva in it, then fix with screws.
- Insert a rod with a square cross section into the fastened lock. Then put the handles on it from both sides and fasten them with tightening bolts.
It should be remembered that the main condition for the competent choice of a locking device intended for outdoor use is its good resistance to weathering. First of all - to temperature changes and changes in relative humidity.
In the presented video in this article you will find additional information on this topic. She will help you to put the locking device on the gate on your own (also learn how to build a fence from a profiled sheet).