Wood at domestic latitudes is the most affordable building material. It is used for their internal exterior work almost everywhere. However, this material is not durable, especially if used on the street, which raises questions about its protection. Therefore, when they ask about how to paint a wooden fence, they mean not only its appearance, but also the reliability and practicality of the chosen material.
New fence, painted with a special varnish
Currently, there are a huge number of different paints, enamels and varnishes, designed to work with wood. All of them are quite reliable and practical, but have their advantages and disadvantages. That is why, answering the question of how to paint a wooden fence, you should consider the most popular materials and make a conclusion based on the observations.
Various materials designed to paint surfaces that are exposed to direct sunlight and moisture
Before applying the paint to the surface, you must first impregnate it with a primer. Especially if you have to work with wood. In the building materials shops one can find a lot of means for pretreatment of this surface, but only an acrylic primer can become a universal remedy that not only protects the wood, preserving its structure, but also allows saving.
Surface not treated with primer, after three years of operation
Many masters, answering the question than to paint a wooden fence, suggest using standard enamel. However, this decision is very controversial and unreasonable.
- Enamels of the PF-115 type have a small price that allows you to apply several layers without saving material.
- They create a durable film on the surface, which protects it.
- However, paint for a wooden fence based on enamels does not tolerate direct exposure to sunlight and temperature changes. After a year on the fence, it will be possible to observe small cracks in which moisture will penetrate, which will lead to a rapid rotting of the surface.
- Also, this dye affects the structure of the tree, destroying it. Therefore, even a small redecoration requires preliminary cleaning of the surface.
Tip! Enamels are not designed for such work and even with a small price they will be quite wasteful, since the painting needs to be updated every year.
The enamel-painted fence may look good in the first year of operation.
Back in ancient times, the painting of the wooden fence was made with materials based on oils and fats. Such dyes are quite practical, but do not have an aesthetic appearance and very poorly tolerate heating in the open sun. Therefore, if there is a question about how to paint a wooden fence beautifully, then this material can not even be mentioned, and for those who like to save even on this, you can give advice to use fuel oil or mining. She also keeps the tree well.
Poor paint swells up after a certain time.
Dyes на основе нескольких компонентов
When doing the work with your own hands, I want the result to be just perfect. Therefore, beginners wizard acquire expensive yacht varnishes or paints, consisting of several components, which provide reliable protection and good appearance.
- They are quite reliable and resistant to both temperature and any weather conditions.
- They have a good and dense outer layer that can protect even from a small physical impact.
- However, their lifespan, as the manual says, is only 3-4 years. After this, some minor repairs may be required. It should take into account the exorbitant price of such material and think about whether to use it in the country or in a private house, since it is almost always very toxic.
- It is advisable to put such paints on good capital fences, and not on the most simple and cheap ones.
Tip! Deciding to use a similar dye, it is necessary to study in detail the instructions to it. It may contain information on specific applications, which is different from conventional materials.
Expensive multi-component materials look very nice during their warranty period.
Water based acrylic paints
As you can see in the photo, this type of dye visually differs little from some types of other materials. However, it is worth noting that it is much more practical than most of them and can compete with even the most expensive multi-component paints.
- This material perfectly transfers moisture and sunlight. It is resistant to frost and even to sudden changes in temperature.
- When applied correctly, which involves the use of a primer from the same manufacturer, the service life can reach five years (after installation and painting of the fence at the dacha). In this case, it is enough just to tint problem areas, which can be done with the help of the remaining material, which will retain its color all the time. Therefore, some manufacturers claim that their paint will look great for 12 years or more.
- It is also worth noting that the price of acrylic material relatively low.
Tip! During the work with acrylic dye it is necessary to remember that its color pigment practically does not change if it is made by a factory method. When self-receiving the desired shade, it can fade in the sun.
Acrylic materials are not only practical, but can have a whole range of different colors.
After reviewing the proposed video, we can conclude that it is best to paint a fence made of wood with acrylic materials. In this case, you need to use the appropriate primer and pigment from the same manufacturer (read also about how to make a fence from the netting of the chain-link on your own).