The metal door has not only security functions, but also protects the occupants from cold and noise. How to insulate a metal door with your own hands? We will tell about it below.
The metal construction of the door is a frame made of a profile and a metal sheet welded to it outside. There is a gap of about 8 mm between the web and the frame. Iron gives heat out, and drafts walk through the gaps. If the door is not insulated by the manufacturer, the process of insulation will fall on the shoulders of the door owners.
Some buyers believe that it is enough to fill the door with insulation, but this is only one of several steps towards creating a warm door.
Перед тем, how to insulate metal doors нам понадобится подобрать соответствующий инструментарий и материалы:
- foam panels corresponding to the thickness of the metal profile;
- foam rubber insulating roll;
- electric jigsaw;
- set of drills;
- medium emery abrasive paper;
- screws and drill;
- silicone sealant;
- Fiberboard sheet;
- drill, screwdriver;
- self-adhesive film.
Before you begin, you need to buy a foam of high density (see Insulation for doors: types and parameters), which is best suited for insulation.
- Measure the length and height of the canvas. It is necessary that the subsequently attached fiberboard sheet overlaps the profile.
- We are marking the sheet of fiberboard, we remove too much.
- Mark on a sheet of fiberboard space under the peephole (see Video door eyepiece: how to choose and install with your own hands), Castle. Cut out the corresponding holes for them. If somewhere you can not make cutting from the edges, you need to drill a hole of the appropriate diameter, so that the jig saw file enters through it.
- Apply the prepared fiberboard sheet on the doorto check the accuracy of all cuts and holes.
- We fill the cavities of the door leaf with foam panels. Use the knife to trim the foam. Apply a small amount of silicone to the surface so that the panels do not fall out. However, do not use too much silicone. You need exactly as much as enough to keep the panel in the door unit.
- Now fasten the hardboard. To do this, insert the cue ball into the drill or screwdriver and fix the screw there. If the cue ball is not magnetized, attach a magnet to it for a while.
- After applying a sheet of fiberboard to the canvas, we twist the screw through the fiberboard and the profilebut do not drill any holes. Screw drills themselves perfectly drilled holes.
- Twist the screws around the profile - no less than three pcs. on each side, as well as on the transverse profile. If the hardboard is loose somewhere, we strengthen the structure with another screw.
- We treat the edges with a knife after screwing a sheet of hardboard.
- We process a sandpaper fine-grained edge DVP, removing burrs and bumps.
Tip 1: Even small gaps between the pieces of foam and the gaps between the ribs must be filled with foam. You can glue the foam with foam to the back surface of the web.
Tip 2: Metal stiffness, despite the insulation, remain cold. In winter, the profile tube, which is used to create stiffness, freezes through. The problem is solved using foam. It is necessary to fill the profile pipe with foam.
For this purpose, holes are drilled in the wall of the profile pipe, the diameter of which is such that the tube of the can with foam or the tube of the mounting gun enters. Holes have approximately at a distance of 400 millimeters from each other. Next, insert the tube into the tube and fill it with foam.
Metal doors - how to insulate, what materials to use? Foam rubber is the most suitable option. Many people incorrectly believe that it is necessary to stick rubber on the door in order to seal. However, this is not true.
Unlike the window constructions, the door has no gaps where it is possible to glue rubber, therefore, following the gluing of the rubber seal, problems may arise related to the closing of the door.
- First you need to unwind the roll of foam;
- Next, you need to remove the protective film, stick it on the frame profile, trying to make it as close as possible to the back side. In a situation where the foam sheet is thicker than gaps, you will need to cut the edge of the material at an angle. It is necessary to cut off the extra edge in such a way that at the moment of closing the profile of the door leaf touches and presses into the foam layer only on the edge of the back side.
Door leaf insulation
How to insulate the metal door? In this query, much depends on whether it is a folding canvas, what is the relief of the outer and inner parts of the leaf of the door. In the case when the door can be disassembled, the insulation is laid inside.
In this case, the insulating material can be both hard and soft. As a hard insulation used a variety of plates of porous materials: expanded polystyrene foam, foam and other similar materials.
These insulating materials are selected according to the thickness of the door and then laid inside the door leaf. Moreover, the material is inserted into the thrust - under this voltage, it is held inside the door.
If you use a soft insulation, you need to take care of its isolation from moisture. If this is neglected, the soft porous seal will begin to absorb the condensate, which then appears on the inner walls due to temperature differences.
Over time, the moistened insulation will completely cease to prevent the penetration of cold, and also will threaten the metal with corrosion, since there will be a constant accumulation of moisture in it.
To avoid such consequences, it is necessary to cover the plates of the soft heat-insulating material with a film, and it will play the role of a waterproofing agent. If the metal door is not collapsible, then apply the option when the empty space of the door unit is filled with a loose heat insulator. However, this is possible only when inside the door cavity there are no mechanisms for controlling bolts that close the door from below and above.
In case there is such a mechanism, the bulk insulation can permanently block the beams. In the situation described above, it is only possible to warm the door outside (if it has a flat surface). To do this, on a flat surface of the door leaf paste elastic insulation in rolls.
The disadvantage of this option of insulation is not the aesthetic appearance of such a finish. To hide the insulation on top of it is mounted a decorative coating of wood, plastic or laminate (see. Finishing metal doors laminate).
Very often, for insulation, sheets of thick, high-quality plywood are used, which can act as both a separate insulation and in cooperation with rolled insulation. Usually plywood after installation is covered with two or three layers of varnish.
How to insulate a metal door: video
Warming box door
Warming the door will not be complete, if not also insulate the door frame. During installation work on installing the door, the profile of the P-shaped box must be filled with a special solution.
If such actions are not carried out, holes are drilled in the box, and the cavities of the box are filled with assembly foam. However, in this case it is difficult to control the filling of the cavity of the metal box with foam. You can fill the box through the holes at the top using a granular bulk sealer.
Warming up is completed by gluing a foam or rubber seal on all joints along the entire perimeter of the door (see Sealant for metal doors).
Rubber is preferred because it is more wear resistant. It is necessary to take the thinnest sealing tape, so that there are no problems when closing the door.
It should be noted that in addition to the insulation of the actual metal door, the installation of an additional door, usually wooden, is very large.