Worthy competitor to the usual reinforced concrete, recently deservedly became aerated concrete. Modern building material is much easier, more convenient in processing, installation and transportation. The ability to pass air well adds popularity, which is important for a comfortable atmosphere inside the dwelling.
Many homeowners who have done repairs at least once already know how to putty concrete walls before final finishing. But not everyone knows how to correctly prepare the light variety of this material. Therefore, it does not hurt to understand its properties in more detail in order to avoid trouble and unnecessary costs.
What are cellular types of concrete?
This material for low-rise construction is made of fillers, cement and gas-forming modifiers. The result is not only environmentally friendly, but also light, breathable products.
Builders are offered two types of blocks.
- Injection Molded Analogs. The technology is a pouring of the finished mixture into pre-prepared cassettes - forms of standard or ordered size. Further, the mixture hardens naturally, forming a concrete brick.
Note! Professionals are not very fond of this type of product, complaining about the frequent discrepancies in size, chipped in the corners and a considerable number of bumps on the surface. A little compensates for the shortcomings of the low price of the material and ease of transportation.
- The sawing method consists of sawing into pieces of a given size of a large concrete mass-slab. As a result, perfect-shaped blocks with a clear geometry and without chips are obtained. The walls and partitions will be smooth, without distortions, it is a pleasure to build them.
But to the process of plastering and puttying, as well as to the composition of the finishing mixtures, the instruction recommends to be more careful. At the moment, putties with improved qualities are being produced, where adhesion, elasticity and vapor permeability are optimized.
Why plastering aerated concrete walls
Even if you used the best material in construction, to enhance its technical characteristics, as well as to give decent external data, further finishing is necessary.
Here are the main reasons for the need to refine the walls:
- Thermal insulation and sound insulation properties are enhanced.
- Moisture does not penetrate between the blocks.
- Carbon dioxide and dust, provoking shrinkage of the building, do not penetrate into the cracks.
- The construction will not damage the sharp temperature fluctuations.
- The plaster layer will provide a uniform release of steam from inside the room.
- Roughing finish is necessary for good adhesion to the finish.
- Plaster and putty improve the appearance of the facade.
How to trim the base
The family of cellular concrete, which includes foam and aerated concrete, needs high-quality finishing materials.
- Often, before you putty concrete walls, it is necessary to remove the prominent irregularities, grinding them with sandpaper or a grinder for concrete.
- More often this is done with walls of molding blocks. If the operation is ignored, the mixture to eliminate defects will take much more.
- After sanding the walls are primed. The composition of deep penetration will not only improve adhesion, but also prevent the settlement of fungal colonies and various bacteria.
- In our case, ordinary plaster will have to be abandoned, specialized formulations will be needed. In the store, pay attention to the products on the basis of plaster, intended for foam concrete. It is quite plastic, adheres well to surfaces, does not fall off with time. The mixture is easy to prepare with your own hands, diluting with plain water.
- To enhance adhesion, as well as in cases when it is necessary to apply a thick layer, the wall is pre-covered with a reinforcing mesh. Suitable fiberglass mesh fine mesh, resistant to alkaline media.
- Experts recommend treating aerated concrete walls with water repellents - impregnations with vapor permeability, but blocking the ingress of water into the structure. It does not hurt to process the walls of aerated concrete, both before facing and after it. In the cracks will not accumulate water, destroying the structure of the material, expanding during freezing.
Note! Purchase finishing mixes in reputable stores. There you will be guaranteed a high-quality product and competent service. A well-trained seller will not only advise you on the right material, but will also give you some useful tips on how to use it.
Trim inside and out
A house built of aerated concrete material needs further finishing. Moreover, if the facade needs to create protection mainly against external factors, then the preparation inside the premises is already done under a decorative coating.
It can be wallpaper, tile, textured plaster, painting.
So that the finish does not upset you with premature shedding, you will need a correctly made intermediate layer.
- Those who are going to modify or make their interior from scratch, professionals will advise to conduct step-by-step training for further work. For example, putty concrete walls under the wallpaper involves at least three stages - impregnation with antifungal composition, plaster and final finishing with elastic mass, creating a smooth and perfectly smooth surface.
- The appearance of the facade always depends on the tastes and wallet of the owner. We can observe both the walls completely plastered with cement-sand mortar, and the facade prepared and trimmed with siding. In any case, you will have to seal the gaps between the blocks to prevent adverse external factors.
It should be immediately noted that the brutal mixing of sand with cement and leveling the walls of aerated concrete will not work. Traditional plaster to this material simply will not stick.
How to properly prepare the wall
Therefore, it is worth going to a specialized store, and buy materials for decent decoration of your walls. The list includes.
- Plaster mix.
- Reinforcing mesh.
- Sandpaper, coarse and smaller.
- Wide and medium spatula.
- Tanks for mixing.
- Construction mixer or waste slats for stirring.
- Hammer, screwdriver.
- Maklavitsa or roller.
- Soak the walls with an antifungal compound (deep penetrating primer) and let them dry. The substance, in addition to antiseptic action, will additionally enhance adhesion - adhesion of the plane with plaster.
- Plaster the walls with a pre-cooked mixture.
- Allow the surface to dry for 24–36 hours.
- Then putty with thinned putty.
- Completely dried up walls will not prevent to finish "to mind", having walked on them with an emery cloth.
After all the actions done, the process of final interior decoration will seem to you an unusually interesting creative manifestation of all your ideas. Sticker wallpaper will be a pleasure, and laying tile or decor with modern materials will get creative, but not mandatory.
Diamond drilling of aerated concrete walls.
It happens that in the process of erection of a building it is necessary to remove a part of the structure for the realization of the designer's intention.
- In this case, cutting of reinforced concrete with diamond circles, tools that help to remove all unnecessary will help. In addition, diamond drilling allows you to further reinforce the foundations to enhance the technical characteristics of the building.
- To install the additions to the main structures, the specialists carry out diamond drilling of holes in the concrete, for the further installation of bases for additional structures that carry a decorative or functional load.
Works are performed by specially designed tools for working with aerated concrete tools and trained personnel.
Even modern aerated concrete, with all its numerous advantages, needs a good finish. Using this product, you can give your home a decent look, both inside and outside. Additional information on working with cellular concrete can be found in the video in this article.