Surely many have heard that in the manufacture of concrete fiber is added to it. But what is this material and what function does it perform as part of the solution? Next, we will try to answer these questions and consider in detail all the nuances associated with its use.
What is fiber
Итак, фиброволокно, фибрин или фибра пропиленовая – это армирующая добавка, которая позволяет улучшить прочностные, а также другие эксплуатационные характеристики бетона. В частности она улучшает его огнестойкость и увеличивает устойчивость к воздействию высоких температур (читайте также статью «Железобетонные фермы – размеры, расчет и производство»).
The additive is a material consisting of a plurality of fibers joined together. I must say that fiber is used not only in the manufacture of concrete, fiber is also used for foam concrete, gypsum products and reinforced concrete structures.
For the manufacture of this additive use a variety of materials, for example, it may be steel, made of a special type of glass, polymer compounds, etc. To add it to the composition does not require special equipment. Mixing takes place in a conventional concrete mixer.
Now consider the main positive aspects of the use of fibers in the composition of the solution:
- Improved material resistance to mechanical stress.. If the metal mesh reinforces the material in a certain area, then the fibers in the solution are evenly distributed.
- The fibers have good adhesion, thereby forming a homogeneous mixture.
- Increases resistance to abrasion.
- Concrete tensile strength increases when bending.
- Polypropylene fibers eliminate the occurrence of cracks, peeling of the surface or plastic deformation.
- As mentioned above, the frost resistance of concrete products increases.. Because of this, sudden changes in temperature do not affect the structure of the material.
- Concrete containing polypropylene fibers in its composition has better adhesion with other materials.
- Increased water resistance of the material due to blocking its capillaries.
- Improves compaction of filler particles when using vibration systems. Due to this, the strength index of the structures increases.
- The use of additives eliminates the possibility of stratification of the array on separate layers.
- The price of the material is cheaper than the reinforcing mesh.
It should also be noted that fiber is an effective micro-reinforcing additive, in all types of mortar, made on the basis of cement. Especially it should be used in cases where it is necessary to prevent the occurrence of deformation cracks that may occur as a result of mechanical stress or shrinkage. In particular, it is recommended to use an additive when pouring mortar into the formwork or floor screed.
Types of fiber
As mentioned above, fibers are of different types. Now let's take a closer look at the features of some of them.
This type of fiberglass is used both in the manufacture of concrete structures and paving slabs, eurofences and concrete monuments. In addition, this additive is indispensable in the manufacture of fountains, balustrades, balusters and other architectural decorative items.
Note! The material with the use of fiberglass turns out to be very durable, so its processing is a rather complicated process. Since cutting reinforced concrete with diamond circles is the most efficient option, it can also be used for concrete reinforced with metal fiber.
In addition, metal fibers are an excellent substitute for the grid when doing the tie with your own hands.
Recently, polypropylene fibers are the most common reinforcing additive in cement mortars. This is due to their low cost, as well as excellent performance. In particular, they are used in the manufacture of foam concrete and aerated concrete blocks, road curbs, etc.
Basalt fiber is used for the reinforcement of concrete, gypsum and some other materials. The length of the fibers is different, which ultimately gives it different properties. Like polypropylene, it is often used to impart strength to various porous blocks.
Glass fiber for concrete has a high level of plasticity. Due to this, it allows architects to embody any constructive solutions. In addition, the peculiarity of glass fiber is low weight.
As a result of these properties, fiberglass fiber is most often used in the reconstruction of old buildings.
Instructions for use of fiberglass is extremely simple:
- When performing the solution, first of all dry components are poured into the concrete mixer.
- In the process of mixing, the fiber is added in separate parts. Fiber consumption for concrete is indicated on the packaging. As a rule, it is 0.3 - 1.2 kilograms per cubic meter.
- Then water is added and the contents of the mixer are thoroughly mixed.
At this process the preparation of the solution is completed.
Tip! Often drill reinforced concrete is not easy. In this case, diamond drilling of holes in concrete is an excellent option.
Фибра представляет собой эффективную добавку в бетонные смеси, благодаря которой спектр применения материала существенно расширился. В ряде случаев армирование стекловолокном является безальтернативным методом улучшения характеристик изделий (см.также статью «Бетонный щебень: назначение, характеристики, применение»).
Therefore, the popularity of its use is constantly increasing. From the video in this article, you can get more information on this topic.